Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center
Across Kansas, local communities recognize the growing need to find better solutions for linking people with mental illnesses to treatment and services while improving public safety. In coordination with the Governor’s Behavioral Health Services Planning Council and the Mental Health in Jails workgroup, the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services is working with local behavioral health and law enforcement leaders to address this need.
The Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center will supply:
- Connections with sites across Kansas and nationally to facilitate peer learning and provide concrete examples of successful strategies and policies;
- Access to national experts and a central information bank on best practices; and
- Guidance on the high-impact strategies and policies that achieve lasting results.
The Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center was developed as a result of local leaders’ recommendations. The center will offer technical assistance tailored specifically to participating Kansas counties to support local programs and policies to improve outcomes for people with mental illnesses in jails. Reinforced with national resources and support, this effort will be guided by a leadership team of state and local representatives and directly informed by local needs.
- Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center Training 1: A Deep Dive into the Stepping Up Framework and Key Question 1
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Webinar 2: Key Question 2 and 3 & Being designated Innovator County
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Webinar 3: Key Question 4 and 5 & Deep Dive into Strategy Lab and Self-Assessment Tool
- KS Stepping Up TA Center All Day Training
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Training 1: KDADS COVID-19 Supplemental Funding Grant—Jail Liaisons
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Training 2: KDADS COVID-19 Supplemental Funding Grant—Data Collection, Tracking, and Sharing
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Training 3: KDADS COVID-19 Supplemental Funding—Jail Liaison Role & Program Sustainability
- Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center Peer-to-Peer Connection Hour 2: KDADS COVID-19 Supplemental Funding Grant- Data Q&A
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Training 4: KDADS COVID-19 Supplemental Funding- Jail Liaison Information Sharing & HIPPA
- Kansas 988 Informational Webinar
- KS Stepping Up TA Center Training 5: KDADS COVID-19 Supplemental Funding- Jail Liaison Data Metrics and Outcomes Sharing
- Implementation of Jail Liaison Programs Among Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services Grantees
- Launch of the Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center
- KS Stepping Up TA Center: Applying a Stepping Up Lens to Homelessness: Assessing and Collaborating for Diversion and Reentry
- KS Stepping Up TA Center: Applying a Stepping Up Lens to Homelessness: The Impact of Homelessness on Recidivism and Strategies for Diversion
Kansas Stepping Up in the News
- Messaging to Support a Behavioral Health Continuum of Care: Elected County Officials
- Justice Reinvestment in Action: Eliminating Concurrent Supervision in Kansas
- Shaping Crisis Response Spotlight Series
- Governor Kelly Expands Mental Health Initiative to Kansas’ Juvenile Justice System
What will my county gain by participating?
The overarching goal of the technical assistance provided through the center is to position each county in Kansas to have accurate baseline data on the number of people with mental illnesses in jails; develop a customized implementation plan to scale up or implement high-impact strategies; set targets to track progress; and achieve results.
Participating counties will receive written resources; in-person trainings; and distance-based trainings along with consistent one-on-one outreach and support.
How does my county get involved?
The Kansas Stepping Up Technical Assistance Center will begin providing resources in January 2021; counties are welcome to join the center on a rolling basis.
How do I stay in touch?
To receive updates about new technical assistance opportunities, email KansasSteppingUp@csg.org.
How can I learn more?
This webinar introduces the Technical Assistance Center and provides an overview of resources available to counties. The webinar also discusses how counties can sign up to be part of the Technical Assistance Center and how they can get started on or advance the work of Stepping Up in their counties with its support.